Continuing our Men’s Sheds visits in 2011, on the 1st October 2011, the Riding4aCause crew will be visiting the Port Macquarie Men’s Shed. We’d like to have as many riders come with us on this journey and help spread the message that it’s OK for men to talk about the issues that matter, including depression. Men often talk about other, trivial items and ignore some of the more important topics. Riding4aCause wants to remove the social stigma about depression, especially for men. We find these rides help both the riders and the local community open up and discuss these important topics in a friendly, non-threatening way. Here’s the itinerary (subject to change) Saturday 1st October:
- 8:30 am – Departure from Picture Me Rollin’ motorcycle accessories, Surry Hills, Sydney. 2 things:
- Ride with others or ride alone: ride your own route (take the freeway, take the backroads, do what you wish)
- Stop whenever you need to
- 2 pm – Regroup at the Taree Service Centre – it has a Caltex, McDonald’s, KFC and a Coolabah Cafe so you should be able to see the signs (it’s just off Old Bar Rd near Purfleet). Grab some lunch, refuel and refresh in readiness for a 3 pm group ride into Port Macquarie.
- 4 pm – Port Macquarie Men’s Shed visit and a BBQ and discussion with the locals about the Men’s Shed and Riding4aCause.
- Accommodation: The Sundowner Breakwater Caravan Park has availability for the weekend (cabins/sites 20-49 would be our recommendation), is close to the center of Port Macquarie and walking distance to the Town Green. We offer this information as FYI only – it is up to you to make your own booking.
Sunday 2nd October:
- Your day: Sample the delights of the region, stay for a while, or head home – the choice is yours!
- Ride home (there are many great bike roads including the Oxley Hwy, Thunderbolts Way & Bucketts Way).
Please pass along the message to your riding buddies to come along and join in this quest to raise awareness of the Men’s Shed & its services as well as helping raise awareness of male depression. Riding4aCause request that all riders ride with respect for other road users and in a manner supporting the intent of this ride.